Thursday 3 March 2016

Directors Commentary




The song, 'I only have eyes for you' begins to play as you watch a man walking through a graveyard which seems to be contradictory to the sadness and death of the scene.  I used it to help my viewers understand that the evil is powered by the love my lead protagonist feels towards certain people and turns it against her.  The contrapuntal soundtrack helps to strengthen the comparison between a caring, average life which is associated with the Doo Wop Traditional Pop genre for the song 'I only have eyes for you' by The Flamingo's and the destructive and out of control life that Cecilia is experiencing.
The juxtaposition is developed when the audience watches a man walk through an abandoned and lifeless graveyard but is seen raising a glass in cheers to salute someone he obviously knew which is an act of celebration therefore looking unnatural given the setting.
There are intentional contradictions throughout my film, such as a woman rebelling against society's stereotypical traditions of marriage and family life therefore it was important that my opening piece of music played to those contradictions.
I tried out this part of the trailer laying a melancholy soundtrack over the footage, however I felt like it made it seem very normal and it lost its tension.
The age of the song seemed appropriate to the age of the wandering man making you question if the music reminds him of when he was young and in love.











No comments:

Post a Comment