Monday 15 February 2016

Evaluation of My Horror Trailer



In what way does my media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?

Whilst I was carrying out my research about horror trailers, I noticed that there are a few key conventions that are frequently used in major horror films. From this format research I noticed characteristics that I could use to create a realistic horror trailer of my own.


My trailer begins with a disclaimer showing the age appropriateness of my trailer. 

As you are able to see, the MPAA age rating clip reveals to you that under 17 year olds are not permitted to view this film without an accompanying parent or adult guardian. It is brought to your attention that that the following trailer will contain adult material such as mild violence or inappropriate scenes and urges parents to learn more about the film before taking their young children with them.

The opening sequence of my trailer is the chosen film institution logos, this is because I wanted to get it out of the way. I chose to have my trailer produced and distributed by New Line Cinema and Warner Brothers because my targeted audience will be more attracted to this film as they are a popular company having produced major successful horror films such as The Conjuring, The Hobbit and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. My viewers will recognise the logos and will identify that they have enjoyed other films that they have released and would therefore be more inclined towards watching this film as they will feel confident that it will be enjoyable. I chose these two popular film institutions because my research highlighted to me that they have produced films under a variety of genres which have been extremely good it also seems to me that both institutions have the most experience when it comes to psychological horror.

The conventions of a typical horror film have been put into action with the common idea of drawing my audience in through the use of suspenseful film. Using unpredictable clips making my viewers nervous, alert and on the edge by creating a dark, mysterious and twisted atmosphere.
My trailer opens with the image of an angel headstone and a man walking through the graveyard. I did this intentionally as it gives a realistic view on the movie which portrays to the audience that this could be a true story. 



I recognised that in popular horror films there are always implications of danger early on the trailers which help to provoke the unsettling feeling of murder, this is why I chose to include the gravestones as they are a clear symbol of death and pain and help to explain the narrative.

In the next scene of my trailer I introduce you to the 'necklace' I felt like it was important to give my audience an understanding of the object early on in the trailer so as to stop confusion. I sat both my actors on the sofa so as to create a normal situation. In order to build suspense I think you don't want to start it off as if it a horror trailer otherwise it will feel fake. It should be normal for your stepmother to offer you a gift especially if it is for your wedding making my audience nt suspect a thing. When Anne (step-mum) says "your mother would have wanted you to have this, but remember one misstep leads to another" it follows another not so obvious convention for horror films. The scenarios displayed throughout the 2 minute trailer are always linked to the past which is returning to destroy their lives and affect her future consequently when cecelia receives the necklace that has been passed down through female generations for decades carrying the memories of the people who have suffered from the curse. 
By now you have already been shown a series of different locations building suspense and tension and helping to make my audience unsure of what is to come next in the trailer which makes them intrigued and continue watching.
Showing a snappy flash of the future the audience will hopefully be shocked and surprised making them interested as we are now certain that this is horror trailer and due to the lack of people you see in the background you get the feeling that the town is low populated.

I have applied levi strauss' theory of binary opposites to my trailer. By inserting the wedding scene you get to see a ceremony which is pure and light where Cecelia does not seem to be
affected by this talisman. Leading to my ending kitchen scene which is a darkened place where the evil is revealed. In this clip we see Anne walking down the stairs having been awakened after she hears something smash downstairs. Grabbing a torch she makes her way into the kitchen briefly exploring the scene with her light. Not being able to see anything she is about the leave when she hears another smashing noise. Turning her torch towards the direction of the noise Cecelia's screaming disfigured face comes into the lens scaring the stepmother and leaving us wondering whether or not she managed to escape. This makes it easy to identify the genre.

             

The first part of typography that you see in the trailer is all in bold capital letters. The font gives nothing away to my audience helping to fabricate suspense. 
The capitals stand out clearly to my viewers making it easily legible, the font itself is 'Times New Roman' providing a to the point supplying to the point text to address the uneasiness to my viewers. The text merges with the bleak black background relating to the documenting situation at the beginning of my trailer which coincides with my typography.
The text says "what it wants is unknown" I had initially planned on saying 'what the curse wants is unknown' however from the use of my evaluation of other film trailers the evil was not known to the audience creating a mysterious threat to the characters and making it more interesting. The threat is either concealed behind words or a mask of some sort. By saying "it" instead of curse it continues the feeling of the unknown linking to a supernatural entity. This adds more emphasis on the audience creating a chilling effect. 


The text I have provided has been distributed throughout my trailer as it sets the narrative and helps my viewer to understand the plot.

Overall I am really happy with how my trailer looks. On the whole I believe that it creates an atmosphere that is unrecognisable and unwelcoming as the gaps in between the clips and slow and dark emphasizing the mysterious supernatural dimension. Having been inspired by the films 'It Follows' and 'The Conjuring' who both use black sequences and and suspenseful images such as that of a dark empty kitchen allowing the audience to imagine and come up with ideas about what is about to happen. This will make my movie more memorable and exciting.





No comments:

Post a Comment